The Law



Clare’s Law (DVDS)

The Law

January 13, 2015

If you, or someone you know, is at risk of domestic abuse from a partner you have the right to ask about an individual who you think may has a violent or abusive past.

You can:

  • Call the police on 101
  • Visit a police station

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme is more commonly known asĀ Clare’s Law. It can be used by anyone who has concerns about a partner’s abusive behaviour or concerns for somebody who may be in a relationship and at risk of violence by their partner.

The scheme is a new way of helping to protect victims of domestic abuse and assist individuals to make an informed decision on whether or not to continue the relationship. It will provide help and support to them when making that choice.

A request made for disclosure under this scheme can be made by:

  • Someone who has concerns that their partner may harm them
  • A third party, such as a parent, neighbour or friend who has concerns about someone’s safety

For more information visit or

Read article